Re: post-commit msgs to -devel lists w/ full diff and commit msg

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 03:18:21PM -0600, Gabriel Burt wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2007 2:37 PM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> > We did that in the beginning (during testing phase). It was stopped
> > before go live. Not exactly sure why. Probably because:
> > 1. Not sure how many people want this
> > 2. It severely increases the size of the mailing list archive (every
> > mail is stored twice and also backed up)
> > 3. It creates problems for svn-commits-list (bigger mails = slower mail
> > + and one point mailman will ask moderators to approve it).
> >
> > So it is possible, but am not sure of the benefits. There are 127
> > subscribers at the moment. I'd like some feedback first on who would
> > find this useful and if there would be objections. This as it already is
> > a high volume list, I don't want to unexpectedly increase the size of
> > the emails.
>
> I can see that rolling this out for all projects, including many
> (most) that don't want it, would be wasteful.  Can we roll it out on a
> case-by-case basis for projects that ask?

No. Either all or nothing.

> The benefit is you can keep track of code changes without leaving your
> mail client (who is going to click on a link for each diff?).  And if
> the reply-to is already set to the -devel list, you can discuss and

The reply to cannot be set on a project basis. There is no list and even
if there was, the maintenance will fall on sysadmins (meaning, it will
never be updated as I don't consider a reply-to to be important.

> annotate the diff (w/ its full text already there) easily.  Karl
> describes it (and with the voice of experience) better than I can
> here:  http://producingoss.com/en/vc.html#commit-emails

I care about the existing subscribers to avoid annoying them. Perhaps
asking on pgo is a good idea. I can understand why it would be useful,
I want to be sure the existing subscribers agree.

Olav