Re: Buy official *.gnome.org SSL certificate?

On 13/05/07, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
For Bugzilla I want to move to using SSL for logged in users. Mango
already uses SSL, however, this doesn't make sense unless the
certificate can be trusted.

I propose the GNOME foundation buys a *.gnome.org SSL certificate. Such
a wildcard certificate should be reusable for Mango and Bugzilla.

Two questions:
- Do you agree?
- Was a SSL certificate restricted to an IP address? Hopefully not as
  above services run on different machines.

I propose to buy it here (no good reason other than Mozilla used that
for their bmo certificate):
https://www.securetrust.com/

It costs 800 USD for 3 years. See:
https://www.securetrust.com/sslcertificates/wildcard/

Another alternative is GoDaddy, who seem to be a fair bit cheaper
(it'd be $540 for a 3 year period):
   https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ssl/ssl.asp?ci=271

I know we're using them for the *.launchpad.net wildcard certificate.

I do not know a lot about certificates, so I do not want someone buying
it right away (need someone knowledgeable to say this is the right
option).

The main issue with a wildcard certificate is that if it is stolen it
can be used to spoof any *.gnome.org site, rather than just
bugzilla.gnome.org.  Whether this is a problem depends on what other
things are planned to be deployed over the lifetime of the
certificate.

James.