Re: Why irc.gnome.org?

On 5/5/07, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> Why is it that all GNOME-related IRC channels are located on
> irc.gnome.org?

Mostly for historical reasons, but we continue to be very happy with it.

Is that the royal "we"? I have never been happy with it.

> Yes, I know someone will say that it is not a problem to use two irc
> servers simultaneously in any decent irc client. But it is, irc.gnome.org
> does not listen to port 6665 for example.

That doesn't make it harder to use two servers. :-) You'll find that many
participants in Open Source projects are connected to two or more!

It does if your school uses a firewall that blocks IRC ports. :) IRC
is not just meant for "participants in Open Source projects," it is
also meant for end users of open source software requiring support,
and for them, finding and using the irc.gnome.org network is a
considerable problem.

--
mvh Björn