Re: Why irc.gnome.org?

On 5/4/07, BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne gmail com> wrote:
Why is it that all GNOME-related IRC channels are located on
irc.gnome.org? For me, as a user of IRC, it would simplify alot if
irc.freenode.net was used instead because virtually all other free
software projects use that network.

As for me, I'm opposed to using freenode mostly because "it sucks".
True, it has a much larger "fan base" than does irc.gnome.org, but
this means that they have a LOT more problems.  You can see this if
you're a new user and try to get help on #fedora there.  You can't
even join the channel without registering, which I think is entirely
too high of a barrier to entry.  Also, the community has grown up
around irc.gnome.org, and is well established there.  It would take
considerable effort to move to another irc network.  Later,
    Greg