Re: preparing for UTC timezone, corrections to cronjobs

I would like to move ahead with this as soon as possible. Not only has it been outstanding for way too long, it shouldn't be too hard or scary to do, it shouldn't break anything (at least not irreparably), and would be nice to get done and be allowed to settle before GUADEC. Thanks for doing the groundwork Toni (and Kurt) - now it's about time we did something about it :)

I am proposing to action this tomorrow at about 0800UTC. Does anyone have any objections or foresee any problems?

--
Ross

Toni Willberg wrote:
Hi.

See attached file for my suggestions on how to change cronjobs on all
servers. I looked only root's and system-wide cronjobs. If some user has
their own cronjobs, they should be informed to fix them by themselves.

I also added local times as a comment to the mailman cronjob, to make it
easier to people get an idea when they are supposed to get some mail...

- Toni

"PREPARING FOR UTC TIMEZONE ON GNOME.ORG SERVERS - CORRECTING TIMES ON CRONJOBS"
- 2005-02-13 Toni Willberg <toniw iki fi>

EST = UTC-5
UTC = EST+5

Timezone will be changed +5h, so all cron entries need to be changed -5h if we want to keep them in sync.

If we want to keep daily/weekly/monthly events happening on same time as earlier,
we need to edit each server's /etc/crontab. Currently those events are being run
04:00 EST. Corrected time would be 23:00 UTC.

The following list has cronjobs from all servers that need to be changed, with corrected times. Files not listed do not need changes.

BUTTON
= nothing needes to be changed

CONTAINER
= nothing needs to be changed

WINDOW

root's crontab:

MAILTO=otaylor redhat com
47 20 * * * /root/bin/copy-db.sh

# do the ssh key syncing script every hour.
MAILTO=gnome-sysadmin gnome org
0 * * * * /home/admin/bin/create-auth-window.sh

0 3 * * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/checkdbs

# Moderator: Toni <toniw iki fi>
# TZ: UTC+0200	(Finland 09:00)
0 7 * * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/checkdbs-moderator -m toniw iki fi `cat $HOME/list-of-moderated-lists`
# Moderator: Kurt Von Finck <mneptok mneptok com>
# TZ: UTC-0800	(US/Pacific 11:00)
0 19 * * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/checkdbs-moderator -m mneptok mneptok com `cat $HOME/list-of-moderated-lists`
# Moderator: Greg McLean <gregm gxsnmp org>
# TZ: UTC-0500	(US/Eastern 20:00)
0 1 * * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/checkdbs-moderator -m gregm gxsnmp org `cat $HOME/list-of-moderated-lists`
# Moderator: Glenn <glennji gmail com>
# TZ: UTC+1000	(Australia/Melbourne 00:00)
0 14 * * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/checkdbs-moderator -m glennji gmail com `cat $HOME/list-of-moderated-lists`
# Moderator: Ross Golder <ross golder org>
# TZ: UTC+0700	(Bangkok 00:00)
0 17 * * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/checkdbs-moderator -m ross golder org `cat $HOME/list-of-moderated-lists`

# Send notifications to disabled members that are due to be
# reminded to re-enable their accounts.
0 4 * * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/disabled

# Mail digests for lists that do periodic as well as threshhold delivery.
0 7 * * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/senddigests

# On the first of each month, mail out password reminders.
0 0 1 * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/mailpasswds

# Every 5 mins, try to gate news to mail.  You can comment this one out
# if you don't want to allow gating, or don't have any going on right now,
# or want to exclusively use a callback strategy instead of polling.
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/gate_news

# At every night, regenerate the gzip'd archive file.  Only
# turn this on if the internal archiver is used and
# GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES is false in mm_cfg.py
27 22 * * * mailman /var/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip