Re: [GNOME-India] Building a community

I am organizing SFD this year in my college on behalf of my college linux user group (http://glug.nith.ac.in). This is the first time, some college in my state is organizing SFD, people are quite unaware about FOSS here, so I guess this event would be a major event.

I am not sure what kind of activities I can conduct to promote GNOME except the beginner workshop where they will be finding and reporting bugs.

People here would be quite interested in learning something new. Any suggestions are welcome. Can I ask for some resources from the GNOME Foundation also ?

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Nagarjuna G <nagarjun gnowledge org> wrote:

On Saturday 30 Aug 2014 11:18:53 PM Arun Raghavan wrote:

> Hi Sriram,

> On 30 Aug 2014 22:51, "Sriram Ramkrishna" <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

> > Hey folks! I thought I would send a welcome email, and start a thread

> > on how to build an active community in India.

> > As a start, let's try to agree upon the goals. Part of this

> > incorporates our mission, spreading Free Software.

> > * Foster greater acceptance of Free Software in all sectors

> > * Creating a dynamic and enthusiastic GNOME community across India

> > that is open to everyone regardless of background, gender, culture,

> > and sexual identity

> > I didn't put anything in marketing GNOME. If we achieve the second

> > objective, we get that for free, I think. I'm more interested in

> > people and community and generating enthusiasm. I want to build

> > momentum.

> Thanks for kicking this off. I've been thinking a bit about how we can get

> get the GNOME community in India active again these last few days, so great

> timing. :-)

> I think what would be nice, and relatively easy to do, is a small GNOME

> hackfest. Nothing too formal or elaborate, but a place where the local

> developer and user community can get together and plot world dom^W^W^W just

> hang out. Maybe pick up some ideas or bugs to hack on / discuss while we're

> there. Could probably pick a weekend or so in November/December.

I suggest you propose a track in this conference to be held in Trivandrum 18 to 20 December:

http://icfoss.in/fs2014.html

-

GN