Re: [GNOME-India] Building a community

Hi Sriram,

On 30 Aug 2014 22:51, "Sriram Ramkrishna" <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

> Hey folks!  I thought I would send a welcome email, and start a thread
> on how to build an active community in India.
>
> As a start, let's try to agree upon the goals.  Part of this
> incorporates our mission, spreading Free Software.
>
> * Foster greater acceptance of Free Software in all sectors
> * Creating a dynamic and enthusiastic GNOME community across India
> that is open to everyone regardless of background, gender, culture,
> and sexual identity
>
> I didn't put anything in marketing GNOME.  If we achieve the second
> objective, we get that for free, I think.  I'm more interested in
> people and community and generating enthusiasm.  I want to build
> momentum.

Thanks for kicking this off. I've been thinking a bit about how we can get get the GNOME community in India active again these last few days, so great timing. :-)

I think what would be nice, and relatively easy to do, is a small GNOME hackfest. Nothing too formal or elaborate, but a place where the local developer and user community can get together and plot world dom^W^W^W just hang out. Maybe pick up some ideas or bugs to hack on / discuss while we're there. Could probably pick a weekend or so in November/December.

Any takers? I think it makes sense to decide where based on where the majority of interested participants are. I'm based in Bangalore, fwiw.

Cheers,
Arun