Re: [GNOME-India] foss.in 2008...

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:41 AM, "Sankarshan (সঙ্কর্ষণ)"
<foss mailinglists gmail com> wrote:
[snip]
> Definition of the Project Day (or whatever it is called)

How about "GNOME Limelight Day"? (bwahahaha)

> - what are we planning to achieve

I'm sure we would all like to see more contributors to GNOME from
India, and IMO that's what we should concentrate on. GNOME pimping can
be, and is being, done by the Ubuntu guys ;)

> - who is our audience

People with skills (or interested in learning skills) with which they
can help make GNOME better.

> - what would make a successful Project Day

IMO it would be a memorable Project Day if:
We can get people excited about GNOME, and contributing to it
We can get people to see how much fun being a part of the community is
We can get people to start contributing in whatever way they can --
Documentation, Artwork, Articles (for gnome-journal),Translations,
Testing, Triaging, Coding, Bugfixing, Packaging, Infra, whatever they
want.

> - how would we measure the success

I believe we can only set a bar for success once we know what all we
will do and how we will do it. One idea is to have different people
handling different ways of contribution. One guy for Docs, one for
Artwork, one for Articles, Translations and so on.

Possibly we won't have enough people for all the contribution methods.
In that case, we can divide it into categories or something.

If each "category" gets 2-3 volunteers, we have spread the word. If
1/4th of them become regular contributors, we've enriched GNOME's
volunteer set. If some of them help in the hosting next year, it's a
success ^_^

> Learning from experience
>
> - what did we learn from last year

/me keeps his eyes and ears open for replies to this.

> I suggest that we keep the above points in focus while discussing what can
> be done, who is going to do it and then on move on to the joyous task of
> putting owners to activities :)

Eeks, I replied to your points instead of posting a reply keeping
those in mind =)

Oh well, I suppose this is almost equivalent.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan