Re: [DL]String additions to 'libgweather.main'

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 6:03 PM Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
Well, it depends. Translating "Somewhere Airport" is likely needed, but translating the name of a city
isn't exactly what I'd consider necessary.

In French (taking an example I can speak for), London (UK, not
Ontario) is Londres, which is already fairly different. More
extremely, Aachen (Germany) is Aix-la-Chapelle. I really do think
translation is necessary.

There's also the issue that not everything is marked as translatable *today*, for no apparent reason.

I don’t why either. That doesn’t seem right.

In any case, as I said: I wanted to open the floor to the discussion, not ask permission for the removal.

Technically you need permission for the addition you did. Removal is
up to you. I stand by my approval for them to stay in though, as it
doesn’t seem like a huge issue. I’m confident you’ll get 2/2 soon and
this will then be solved.

Sure, but at the end of the day you are still getting those strings counted towards the overall coverage.

I wish people (and by that I mostly mean our translators, not
necessarily you) would understand that the stats we provide are just a
means to know where we stand, a picture of the situation at a given
time, and that it’s ok not to be at 100%.

By the way, many of those places actually don’t have a localised name,
and copying from the source string is pretty trivial with appropriate
translation software, so I wouldn’t worry to much about the amount of
work it represents.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker