Re: [DL]String additions to 'libgweather.main'

On Thu, 3 Mar 2022 at 16:54, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 5:48 PM Emmanuele Bassi via gnome-i18n
<gnome-i18n gnome org> wrote:
> Hi all;

Hi,

> these are location names that did not exist in the database, so are effectively newly translatable strings—but they are physical places, so they can be left untranslated without any particular loss.

Let’s call this a break request and here is approval 1/2.

I can revert at no particular loss. I honestly didn't really know the current status of the locations database with regards to translation. I mostly inherited the existing infrastructure, but there's no actual documentation on its contents and/or rules.

> As a side note: I'm not entirely sure most of the locations in the libgweather database need to be translated in the first, so it would be nice to have a discussion with the i18n teams at large, to see if we can reduce the amount of translatable strings for the next cycle.

I’m not sure I see the logic behind that. What makes you think
translations are not needed? A speaker of a given language surely has
a better chance of knowing a place by their localised names, don’t
they?

Well, it depends. Translating "Somewhere Airport" is likely needed, but translating the name of a city isn't exactly what I'd consider necessary.

There's also the issue that not everything is marked as translatable *today*, for no apparent reason.

Of course, as Yuri pointed out:

> Just my 2 cents. Surely, they are not translated, but commonly transliterated
> (Cyrillic, Greek, CJK scripts). Please leave them translatable.

transliteration is a perfectly valid use case.

In any case, as I said: I wanted to open the floor to the discussion, not ask permission for the removal.

Also, locations are using a separate domain, so it’s easy to
just translate `po` and leave `locations` out.

Sure, but at the end of the day you are still getting those strings counted towards the overall coverage.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.