Re: Online translation platform adoption?

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 16:58, mousavi arash gmail com <mousavi arash gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 4:43 PM Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 16:32, mousavi.arash--- via gnome-i18n <gnome-i18n gnome org> wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> This has been discussed and resurfaced every once in a while. I think
>> the main issue is that the GNOME's L10N decision makers have no
>> interest in going this path and regular members also have no power or
>> knowledge to do it or don't know where to start. As a contributor for
>> many years, I sometimes feel L10N in GNOME is not getting much love
>> from GNOME and is left in oblivion.
>

> I have no idea what "getting much love from GNOME" means: the localisation teams *are* GNOME.
>
> If localisation teams have a plan to improve the localisation of GNOME, then they should put forward a set of steps. If that includes a new translation platform, then they should contact the GNOME system administrators and figure out how to include that platform in the GNOME infrastructure.
>
> For instance: what are the requirements for installing Weblate? Is there a container that can be installed? How does Weblate integrate with our Gettext-based internationalisation structure? How does it integrate with Git/GitLab?
>
> Until somebody takes the initiative, things won't really change.

That's what I mean. As I mentioned, this topic has been resurfaced
multiple times in the past 10 years I have been around but nobody from
GNOME has ever pointed out what is the workflow for this kind of
decision. Most of these conversations usually end with "There's no
plan from GNOME", but who makes the "plans"? Where can I submit one?

GNOME is what's usually defined as a "do-ocracy"; in other words: the people that do things decide how to do them.

You're personally empowered to do things if you contribute to GNOME.

Nobody tells you what's the first step to take. Is it enough to
contact "GNOME system administrators" and ask them to "install
weblate"?

Yes. Of course, you should probably perform some due diligence to be able to answer questions like "how does platform work"; "how can this be kept up to date and secure"; "how can this integrate with the single-sign-on system used by GNOME"; etc.

It's obviously easier if you get buy-in from the people that have been working on i18n for a while, and you have some "sponsors" in terms of people that have used the platform you're proposing.

Who should decide whether Weblate is good or maybe we should
go with another solution like Mozilla's Pontoon? Can I just make that
decision?

Yes. It's up to you to evaluate which solution fits the GNOME project better. You can establish a "committee" of people to evaluate different platforms, determine which platform fits best within the GNOME infrastructure (including licensing and support), and present the pros and cons of each. Then the committee can present the decision to the community at large, and set out to provide a "trial" service.

For an example, you can see the process that was followed by a bunch of GNOME developers to migrate away from cgit/Bugzilla:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/DevelopmentInfrastructure

A small group of people started off gathering requirements, evaluating options, and then collaborated with the GNOME sysadmins to run a trial instance of GitLab to figure out the issues and the changes to the workflow.

Nobody decided to switch from Bugzilla to GitLab in a top-down fashion.

If I gather answers to those questions, where should I put
them? Who should I give them to?

You can file an issue on GitLab:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/infrastructure/issues/new

and outline the plan for installing, integrating, and using a new translation service. I'd start by gathering a bunch of people with experience on Weblate and Pontoon and other similar, free software services, and figure out what the strengths and weaknesses for each of them are.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.