Re: New procedure for freeze break requests

Hi Michael!

El mar., 11 ago. 2020 a las 21:16, Michael Catanzaro (<mcatanzaro gnome org>) escribió:
Hi,

I'm fed up with mailman and am trying to decommission the release team
mailing list. That means we need a new procedure for handling freeze
break requests that's not based on email. We've created:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/Teams/Releng/freeze-breaks

where developers can report issues to request a freeze break. That
should work fine for everything that only requires approval from
release team: UI freeze, feature freeze, and hard code freeze. (And
docs team can watch the repo if interested.)

Now, for issues that require string freeze breaks, I see a few
different options:

 * i18n team could watch this repo's issue tracker for string break
requests and approve them there, alongside other freeze break requests;
or

Personally I don't like this option because watching request not directly related to i18n is useless for us and might create unnecessary noise.

 * We could continue to use email to gnome-i18n@ for string break
requests and just say that release team no longer needs to be involved
in string freeze breaks

Good, but I have one question here: would Release team made a first approval of a change before us? I mean, if a developer requests a break that adds several source code lines but only changes one string, both Release and i18n team should approve it. How would it be done? If i18n gives 2 votes but R-T rejects it, how would we notice it?

 * We could create a separate repo under
https://gitlab.gnome.org/Teams/Translation just for string freeze
breaks.

Same above questions bus I guess Gitlab would allow to add R-T comments in the thread, so both teams could be notice about the changes in the discussion.

My 2 cents ;-)

Regards!

Do you have a preference (or alternative proposal) for how this would
work?

Happy Tuesday!

Michael