Re: Cleaning out unused translations

Le 11.08.20 à 01:03, Florian Müllner a écrit :
On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 20:58, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
I must be missing something because all the changes in your MR have a
net increase of content (e.g. ar.po is
+ 1538 - 682) so I would expect the translations to actually take up
more space after the update.

Sorry for being unclear, I'll try to explain better.

The merge requests changes the .po files, and they indeed increase in size:

- new translated strings are added
- translations for removed strings are commented out (but not removed)

But both comments and untranslated messages are discarded when compiling
the .po to .mo files, so the latter do get smaller (because the
additions are not added, while message that were commented out are removed)

I support the position of Alexandre. What could be done if you really
want to create smaller .mo files is to merge existing .po files with a
fresh .pot file during the build process and before producing .mo files.

Claude
--
www.2xlibre.net