Re: Cleaning out unused translations

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 3:48 PM Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
Hey y'all!

Hi Florian,

I know we are not supposed to touch any translations in po/, but as we
have accumulated a lot of cruft over the years, I would like to make an
exception in
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/merge_requests/1402.

That merge request contains the changes from running `ninja
gnome-shell-update-po` for all .po files that haven't changed since
GNOME 3.34.

Are there any objections from your side to a change like that?

Yes. What do you hope you will gain from doing this? The files will
“seem” more up to date but the translation coverage will actually stay
exactly the same. Doing this is pointless and I’m not keen on granting
any exception for it as it’s better to stick as much as possible to
the rule you stated yourself: never touch translations.

I appreciate you asking before making any change.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker