Re: From North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon India regarding GIMP

Hi,

Thanks for all your work! Comments inline:

On Mon, 2018-09-03 at 15:18 +0530, Snehalata Shirude wrote:
We are very much thankful to you for adding Marathi translations in a
new release of GIMP and publishing news officially on GIMP website!

Prof. Manish Joshi from North Maharashtra University conveyed you
that the translation is initiated as Project of Rajya Marathi Vikas
Sanstha, Mumbai. In this project it was decided to have regular
review meetings to monitor the progress and also check the quality of
the translation with the help of experts. We will organize a state
level workshop inviting users of GIMP, Marathi language experts,
localization experts etc.

In a review meeting organized on 21st of Aug, it is discussed that
some of the strings should be modified so that correct and exact
meaning be conveyed. Many such strings are identified in the meeting.
Hence, we have decided to have look at all the strings and re
translate it. We shall once again upload the modified .po files in
near future.

One important questions raised that whether the translation can
support “Open Type Font Features”? We are getting a Devanagari script
श whereas we wish to have this -> .

What are “Open Type Font Features”?
What are the complete steps you perform (step by step) and where?

Along with the work of translating GIMP user interface into Marathi,
we have also planned for localization of GIMP user manual into
Marathi.

The steps for translation of user manual are obtained from website
https://gitlab.gnome.org/. We downloaded gimp-help files containing
folders like docs, images, make.d, omf, po, quickreference, src,
stylesheets, tools, and web. The clone command we could find is-
“ git clone git gitlab gnome org/GNOME/” . When we try to register to
this site, it is not allowing us to create account. How we can create
a GNOME account doing this work on https://gitlab.gnome.org/?

As https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/GitHowTo is horribly
outdated I'd point to https://wiki.gnome.org/Git/Developers

If you have problems, please provide exact steps that you performed.

It is currently unclear to me why you need to push translation updates
directly into the code repositories on gitlab.gnome.org if you can also
upload proposed translation changes to l10n.gnome.org instead so the
translation team coordinator could review and merge your changes.

We noticed that there are .po files for GIMP User Manual on website
https://l10n.gnome.org/module/gimp-help/

Which files we should refer whether from https://gitlab.gnome.org/ or
from https://l10n.gnome.org/module/gimp-help/?

We are not able to understand what exactly should we do with the
files we downloaded from both the web sites? Where the repository
should be kept to clone? And important query is how we can check on
local machine the translations? It is very much important for us to
know about the exact process that we can follow to perform user
manual translation.

We are eagerly waiting for the response in this regard on this e-mail
address.

Once again we express our thanks....!

Prof. Manish R. Joshi
Dr. Snehalata B. Shirude

Team of North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon and Rajya Vikas
Sanstha, Mumbai

Cheers,
andre
--