Re: Translations for Glabels 4.0

Hi Carmen,

Am Do., 1. Nov. 2018 um 12:38 Uhr schrieb Carmen Bianca Bakker <carmen carmenbianca eu>:
Hey Mario,

On ĵaŭ, 2018-11-01 at 10:04 +0100, Mario Blättermann via gnome-i18n wrote:
> But Glabels development has been switched from GTK to Qt, and the
> version control system now resides at Github [1]. The upcoming major
> version 4.0 will be based on Qt. Along with the Qt port, we are no
> longer using po files, but ts files.

Apart from Sveinn's fairly valid concerns, I am not really understanding
why the switch from gettext to Qt Linguist was made.  Is it not possible to
keep using gettext (and keep all current infrastructure) while still
using Qt?  I understand that it is not Qt's native solution, but it's
perfectly feasible.  I know that KDE uses gettext instead of Qt
Linguist[1].

The decision to switch to the native ts format was made by the main developer Jim Evins. Maybe it is more simple to maintain within a pure Qt application. Don't forget, Glabels won't become a KDE app, the goal is to be platform-independent, see [1].

[1] https://github.com/jimevins/glabels-qt/issues/30

Best Regards,
Mario