Re: Updated month name translations needed in GLib

26.03.2018 13:43 Fòram na Gàidhlig <fios foramnagaidhlig net> wrote:

Reminder for *every* translation team: you should update strings from
glib/gdatetime.c in GLib to avoid a chance of English dates in the
next GNOME release. Languages which won’t get an update soon will get
a commit from https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/commits/wip/piotrdr
ag/missing-months
merged.

I have merged that branch to GLib master, so it will be in the 2.56.0
release. There is still time for translation teams to update the
strings there before the release, if you spot any problems with them.

(Please CC me in any replies as I am not subscribed to gnome-i18n.)

I tried to look at Piotr's commit to try to find our what I need to do,
but the link is dead now.

Piotr already provided the updated commit link but for the record and
for other languages this link may be helpful, at least now, as we are
shortly after these changes:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/commits/master/po

Any chance to have an idiot's guide on which file to edit, and which one
will be the stand-alone form?

You should edit (or actually: review if it is edited correctly) your
translation for glib project in Damned Lies. As Piotr said, the stand-alone
form is the one with the old "full month name" and "abbreviated month name"
context. I find it ambiguous and wanted to introduce "full month name
standalone" and "abbreviated month name standalone" but the glib
maintainer said that this drops existing translations and does not
provide any additional value.

Also I think that the translators comment before "January"/"Jan"
is a sufficient "idiot's guide" (sorry, that's not my opinion.) :-)
If not then please explain how to fix it.

While at this, the translators comments mention that you should refer
to the latest glibc and some command line utilities and see how they
handle the month names. But this is not true for Scottish Gaelic
(as well as for some other languages). The reason is that I did not
have any feedback from you recently (but of course I really appreciate
your feedback I received about a year ago) and I did not want to
introduce changes to the locales without the final ack from the
actual translation teams; also I did not have time to ping each
translation team individually. As a result there are some languages
where the nominative/genitive month names are (probably) needed but
they are not yet supported.

Regards,

Rafal