Re: About translating GIMP website (gimp.org)

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Jehan Pagès <jehan marmottard gmail com> wrote:
So would this be possible? If this is all good, and once we get all
our text as po files, what is the next step to subscribe the GIMP
website as a GNOME i18n project and get the ball rolling for
internationalization? :-)

I'll let the others weigh in now.

It is possible using po4a, as already mentioned, and you don't have to
bother with po files at all. All we need is an up-to-date template
(*.pot). Merging it into existing po files is done by or Vertimus
tool.

In our current workflow, Vertimus is monitoring the Git commits. Each
time an appropriate Git commit happens, the pot file will be updated
and merged into the po files for each language. This works perfectly
for translations based on intltool (GUIs) and yelp tools (docs). For
po4a it doesn't work out-of-the-box, but possibly can be done with a
custom script.

I expect a lot of translatable strings and accordingly a lot of work
for translators. I urgently recommend to split the content into
smaller chunks, preferably according to the directories in the Git
module [1]. There is also a "man" directory included, so we would get
also translated man pages.

Some notes about po4a itself: The Markdown module is not perfect. In
some cases, translators will get annoying gettext strings which
contain only underlinings and some other formatting stuff. In any case
we need to provide extra information for translators what they have to
keep in their translations to don't break the generation of the
localized version.
Moreover, by default po4a doesn't accept po files which have less than
80 % of the source strings translated, based on the pure count of
gettext strings. Translators should get informed about that. Well,
this percentage could be screwed down in the po4a configuration, but I
prefer a translated website without gaps or at least only with a few
gaps, so we should keep it at 80%.
As far as I know, po4a cannot handle "translated" pictures, as known
from our DocBook or Mallard manuals. There's some extra work needed to
handle translated pictures.

[1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-web/tree/content

Best Regards,
Mario