Re: [evolution-data-server] Some translatable strings changed

On Thu, 2016-08-18 at 11:26 +0200, Rafal Luzynski wrote:
If I may put my 2 cents here, wouldn't you guys consider a notation
without spaces, like "%s:%s" (inspired by an old MacOS) or "%s::%s"
(inspired by C++ namespace notation)?

        Hi,
I like the way it had been done some time ago (possibly years ago),
thus I'll keep it '%s : %s'.

It may be already too late to change the notation so maybe use
nonbreaking spaces (Unicode character 160 dec or A0 hex)? What if a
line gets wrapped at this point?

The account name (the first %s) and/or even the folder name (the second
%s) can also contain spaces, thus the nonbreaking space might not give
much value. But good idea otherwise, I didn't think of it earlier.

maybe replace %s : %s with a single %s using some C magic. :)

Right. The evolution code uses a "C magic", which may or may not be
good (would RTL languages prefer to switch the order or not). I thought
it'll be better done in place in eds, also to avoid one more string
allocation and immediate free of it. Maybe I'll change my mind in the
future.

+1 for suggesting that a translators comment would be helpful here
explaining that spaces are intentional and should be preserved
as well as explaining what are those %s's.

Okay, I added translator comments above those strings. There were above
some already, but not above all. I made them the same or quite similar:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server/commit/?id=01b088cc3

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan