Re: String additions to 'gnome-shell.gnome-3-0'

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Piotr Drąg <piotrdrag gmail com> wrote:
2013/9/29 Kenneth Nielsen <k nielsen81 gmail com>:
Can anyone explain what the meaning of "calendar:MY" is and how it should be
translated. Literally "kalendar:MIN" in Danish, but I fear some secret
syntax is at play here.

There is an identical string in gtk+, plus this comment:

#. Translate to calendar:YM if you want years to be displayed
#. * before months; otherwise translate to calendar:MY.
#. * Do *not* translate it to anything else, if it
#. * it isn't calendar:YM or calendar:MY it will not work.
#. *
#. * Note that the ordering described here is logical order, which is
#. * further influenced by BIDI ordering. Thus, if you have a default
#. * text direction of RTL and specify "calendar:YM", then the year
#. * will appear to the right of the month.

It might be worth filing a bug report to add a similar comment to gnome-shell.

Why can't we just use the same translation from GTK+? The only thing
that can happen with two different strings is to have things
inconsistent. I can't see any benefit from defining it twice.

Friedel