Re: Untranslated entries in print dialogue

2013/9/27 F Wolff <friedel translate org za>:
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Jiro Matsuzawa <jmatsuzawa gnome org> wrote:
2013/9/27 F Wolff <friedel translate org za>:
(snip)
I'm struggling a bit with my GTK+ UI translation.

In a print dialogue, under Page Setup -> Print Only  the three entires
(All sheets...) are untranslated.
(snip)
Good catch! You should report this as a bug on the bugzilla [1].
It seems that all the <item> elements marked as trasnlatable are not
correctly extracted.

I think it would be better that POTFILES.in contains not *.ui.h but
*.ui themselves.
But, according to the commit log, that seems to be done with purpose.

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gtk%2b&keywords=I18N+L10N&component=general

I can't see why it is not extracted, though: it is marked as
translatable, and the XML looks like another combo box on the same
form that is extracted correctly. Any ideas?

Gtk+ does not take advantage of intltool. It extracts strings by itself.
It seems to ignore content other than that of <property> element.
See gtk/extract-strings.c.

It seems you are right. The extracted strings on that page (Landscape,
Portrait...) are because they occur elsewhere as well.

Does anybody know why GTK+ does not use intlool? What is the status of
this directive in the developer guidelines?
https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines/Localize%20using%20gettext%20and%20intltool
I thought all modules should follow a standard process, or not?

Its commit log says [1]:
These files are generated, so adding them to git is somewhat icky, but
it helps translators who currently can't use intltool-update on a
fresh git checkout.

[1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=bd9ad3c9c2f59d4a34681dfbef6604c442bce965

--
Jiro Matsuzawa