Re: Help with collecting keyboard data

On 9 January 2013 03:18, Rui Tiago Cação Matos <tiagomatos gmail com> wrote:
> I don't know much about OLPC at a technical level so I don't know
> which layouts database it uses. But, if it uses a modern X server it's
> also probably using xkeyboard-config and that would be why some of the
> layouts there are labeled as "OLPC".

I believe that's the case.

> What we are looking for is to collect data that allows us to preset a
> good default keyboard layout or input method that works for most
> people when installing GNOME in a given language/country.

+1

> Are these new XO laptops going to ship the full GNOME desktop, i.e.
> including gnome-shell?

Not with full 3D, AFAIK because GNOME's requirements are not
compatible with the XO (and many other devices). I believe what's
needed from GNOME is proper OpenGL ES (not just OpenGL) support. The
XO will probably have to use a proprietary graphics driver, which
creates a whole new set of problems.

Sridhar