Re: Units of measurement conflict

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 14:57 -0300, Nicolás Satragno wrote:
> Hello list,
> There seems to be an issue regarding units of measurement in some
> applications such as Nautilus. Please check this screenshot:
> http://i.imgur.com/H4g7z.png (it's in Spanish, but that won't be a problem).
> Although 1.0 MiB (Binary byte, 1.024 MB) is shown, the file is actually
> 1 MB (One decimal byte) long. This issue was introduced by the Spanish
> team, which translated MB into MiB. They are aware of this issue. It
> seems that some time ago, the developers were calling MB what we call
> MiB, but not now anymore. I'd like to know if there is a standard
> agreement of which measurement system should be used.
> This way, we'll know if we should translate MB into MiB or MB.

This topic was covered by Ryan in
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2012-January/msg00095.html :

"TL;DR: If you disagree with how something is written in the English
string, please file a bug against the relevant component.  Never use
translation as a way to 'fix' bugs or change something that you disagree
with."

So please translate MB as MB and MiB as MiB.

Thanks,
andre
--
mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed