Units of measurement conflict

Hello list,
There seems to be an issue regarding units of measurement in some applications such as Nautilus. Please check this screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/H4g7z.png (it's in Spanish, but that won't be a problem). Although 1.0 MiB (Binary byte, 1.024 MB) is shown, the file is actually 1 MB (One decimal byte) long. This issue was introduced by the Spanish team, which translated MB into MiB. They are aware of this issue. It seems that some time ago, the developers were calling MB what we call MiB, but not now anymore. I'd like to know if there is a standard agreement of which measurement system should be used.
This way, we'll know if we should translate MB into MiB or MB.
Regards
--
Nicolás Satragno <nsatragno gmail com>