Re: Confusion over epiphany new name

Am 11.03.2012 17:47, schrieb Abderrahim Kitouni:

2012/3/11 Rūdolfs Mazurs <rudolfs mazurs gmail com>
Hello!

It seems that Epiphany, the browser, is gradually being renamed to
"Web". If I understand correctly, this is because a typical user has no
idea what "Epiphany" does. But for translators this is problematic.

1. When I go to "Web's" About page, I see pearls like "Web Website" and
"Copyright 2003-1012 The Web Developers". My language doesn't use
articles, so the translations would be equivalent to "Website of the
Web" and "Copyright 2003-1012 Web developers".

One of our translators also had the same problem with Contacts. Since this seems to be the direction gnome applications are going, it would be really nice to have some global policy on how to handle these.

In any case, some consistency and clear expectations would be nice.
Consistent options would be:
a) replace the application name with the functional label ("Files",
"Documents", "Web") only in some predefined locations, and translate the
new label (this is what I would prefer);

This would be nice, but the new applications (e.g. Contacts, Boxes) don't have any other name.

The global question is for me: Shouldn't we may expect that users (even the users at the lowest imaginable level) are able to remember some application names? In my mind, there's no plausible reason to throw the application names away. And as we see, this produces more problems than we had ever expected.

In case of Epiphany, we display it in the menu as "Web", just as "Web" would be the one and only web browser all around. But if we have a look at http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/, the pictures show the Firefox logo within the dash (which is the default and widely used browser anyway). I don't believe that we get more "Web" users this way. Epiphany is quite far from being (or becoming) _the_ web application.

However, it is not the place here to discuss such basic things, but I'm sure here are some (or perhaps some more) people who can follow my thoughts.

Best Regards,
Mario