Re: Confusion over epiphany new name

2012/3/11 Rūdolfs Mazurs <rudolfs mazurs gmail com>
Hello!

It seems that Epiphany, the browser, is gradually being renamed to
"Web". If I understand correctly, this is because a typical user has no
idea what "Epiphany" does. But for translators this is problematic.

1. When I go to "Web's" About page, I see pearls like "Web Website" and
"Copyright 2003-1012 The Web Developers". My language doesn't use
articles, so the translations would be equivalent to "Website of the
Web" and "Copyright 2003-1012 Web developers".

One of our translators also had the same problem with Contacts. Since this seems to be the direction gnome applications are going, it would be really nice to have some global policy on how to handle these.

In any case, some consistency and clear expectations would be nice.
Consistent options would be:
a) replace the application name with the functional label ("Files",
"Documents", "Web") only in some predefined locations, and translate the
new label (this is what I would prefer);

This would be nice, but the new applications (e.g. Contacts, Boxes) don't have any other name.

b) replace and translate it everywhere (although we usually don't
translate application names);

I don't know.

c) replace it everywhere, but don't translate it (but then non-English
users don't benefit from the renaming);

And this would be ugly for languages that don't use the latin alphabet, we would need to either translate it or transliterate it.

d) replace it everywhere, but translate only "on the surface" (e.g., in
the menu, but not in the licence - a line would have to be drawn by
someone).

Again problematic for non latin alphabet.

Regards,
Abderrahim