Re: Clutter and RTL locales

Hello,

                 في ج، 09-03-2012 عند 18:53 +0100 ، كتب Florian Müllner:
> Clutter recently got an API for text direction (LTR vs. RTL). It works
> just like the API in GTK+, there is a "default:LTR" string which
> should be translated to "default:RTL" for RTL locales. As GNOME Shell
> switched to the Clutter API a while ago, users of RTL locales that
> don't provide a correct translation in Clutter will end up with a
> mirrored desktop - currently this affects nearly all RTL locales,
> including Hebrew and Arabic. To prevent that regression, I am going to
> add/update translations for affected locales (based on the list of RTL
> locales in GTK+, and obviously not translating anything except for the
> "default:LTR" string).

10 days... I wouldn't call that a while. Anyway, thanks for updating (or
rather adding) the translation.

Seriously, I don't quite see the usefulness of translating clutter at
all: at ~570 strings, and it seems like all the strings for translation
are GObject property names and descriptions, and I don't see why they
would be translated. AFAICT, they would only appear in a debugger, so
they are more or less as useful as schema strings, and shouldn't be in
the reduced PO files. Agreed they aren't as easy to spot as schema
strings, but are annoying nevertheless (and sometimes hard to
translate).

What do other translators think of this?

Thanks and regards,
Abderrahim