Re: www.gnome.org translatable

How do we test the translations?
Is that already possible?

M!

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Gil Forcada <gforcada gnome org> wrote:
El dc 30 de 05 de 2012 a les 13:55 +0200, en/na Bruno va escriure:
> Le 24/05/2012 12:00, F Wolff a écrit :
> > Op Do, 2012-05-24 om 11:11 +0200 skryf Claude Paroz:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Thanks to the work done by Vinicius Depizzol on a plugin to make
> >> wordpress content translatable, we should now be able to translate the
> >> www.gnome.org Web site.
> >>
> >> http://l10n.gnome.org/module/gnome-web-www/
> >>
> >> I will let Vinicius tell us the details about how it will work or how
> >> often the translations will be updated.
> >
> > This is wonderful news. Thanks Claude and Vinicius!
> >
> > I had a very brief look at the files, and wow! what a lot of work!
> >
> > I'm interested in looking at how to reduce this to a smaller subset that
> > covers the most important pages (let's say the front page and everything
> > one or two clicks away), and to make it easier to know where a string
> > comes from.
>
> Hello,
>
> It is a great idea to try to reduce this HUGE amount of work
> which is very discouraging. It is very easy to say that translator
> teams are great but there are nevertheless volunteers and human.
> (i mean that it is "easy" to make a whole website translatable by a computer
> program but more time consuming to translate more than 70 000 words)
>
> Would it be please possible to first clean up the web site by archiving
> old "News
> messages" (starting from 1999, 14 web pages) and "Press releases"
> (starting from 1999)
> which, in my opinion, are deprecate in foreign languages, and removes
> them from the po files
> maybe by marking these pages as not translatable ?
>
> Thank you for the effort!
>
> Bruno
> French Team Coordinator

Another way to reduce the amount of translations would be to create po
files for each year, so that translators can start to translate only
strings made this year.

Cheers,

> > I have a few questions:
> >
> >   - Is there a way to get more information into the #: lines? At the
> > moment everything is extracted from one of two files. Is it maybe
> > possible to get something in there that resembles the URL where the
> > string might appear? (*hoping*)
> >
> >   - What does (terms/term) mean at the end of some of these lines? Some
> > of them look like HTML id attributes or similar (like "globalnav" for
> > example).
> >
> >   - With regards to the placeholders like<_:a-1/>   I guess it is a valid
> > XML tag, although slightly unfamiliar to the eye compared to the other
> > standard tags in the text. From the examples it seems to be an inline
> > a-tag, maybe with the underscore indicating that the contents is
> > translatable.  Are these generated by itstool? These seem to swallow the
> > containing text, for example "GNOME is proud to be a part of<_:a-1/>."
> > where<_:a-1/>  contains "the GNU project" (based on
> > http://www.gnome.org/about/ ) which is separately in the string before.
> > My guess is that this will be quite error prone. Is there a way to get
> > the full a-tag inline in the containing paragraph?
> >
> >   - Where/how can we contribute towards fixes of the source text? I
> > haven't really reviewed it, but found for example "maintanance" and
> > "resonsiblity" (instead of "maintenance"/"responsibility"). An image
> > title like "gnome-3.4-940x400" is not really that useful, I think :-)
> >
> > Thanks again for the great work!
> > Friedel

Gil Forcada

[ca] guifi.net - una xarxa lliure que no para de créixer
bloc: http://gil.badall.net
planet: http://planet.guifi.net