Re: Tools to help with mnemonic l10n?

Den 11-01-2012 14:23, Chris Leonard skrev:
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Byrial Jensen<byrial vip cybercity dk>  wrote:
Hi,

When I translate button labels and menu texts etc., it may be difficult to
select good (that is unique) key mnemonics (the letters with a prepended
underscore) as I often do not know which options will be grouped together in
the same menu or window.

I wonder if there is any tools to help with that.

When the UI is made with glade, maybe the program which extracts the
translatable strings from the glade XML file could analyze the file enough
to insert comments into the pot file about which strings with mnemonics are
in the same group. This could help the translator, and it would  be possible
for other tools such as for instance pofilter to check for possible mnemonic
conflicts in the translated po files. Do anything like this exist, or has
anyone plans to do like this?

Best begards
- Byrial

I don't know of any such tool, but I like your idea.  I particulalry
like the notion of a pofilter check, but on what basis will the
algorithm know that the entries are in a common pulldown?

The information should be in po-file in form of some form of extracted comments inserted by the program which generates the pot-file. That program can get the information by parsing the XML file made be glade.

The format could for instance be something like this:

#. Mnemonic group "Search menu" with 3 items.
msgid "_Search..."
msgtext ""

#. Mnemonic group "Search menu" with 3 items.
msgid "Find _next"
msgtext ""

#. Mnemonic group "Search menu" with 3 items.
msgid "Find _previous"
msgtext ""

Best regards
- Byrial