Re: EasyTAG translations, source string improvements

On 2012-12-01 06:32, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress gmail com> wrote:
1) Given that you span Windows and Linux installs, it may be
unavoidable to maintain a list of language names (and character sets)
internally, but it would be very helpful of you would conform those
strings to their specific appearance in the relevant ISO code set PO
files to enhance utility of translation memory tools.

I think that in the specific case of the about dialog, it would be easier to replace the current implementation with GtkAboutDialog and use the form of "translator-credits" that appears in other GNOME applications. This way I handily avoid having to write the language names out in full.

I would also like to suggest that checking how other projects phrase
certain common strings by doing an English>English look-up in
http://www.open-tran.eu/ and using the most common form is also
something that localizers would appreciate.

A very good idea, thank you.

Including multiple small variations (Capitalization, punctuation,
etc.) of the same basic string solely for some arbitrary sense of
aesthetics should be avoided

I agree wholheartedly with this. Thinking about it more, it would seem that applying the GNOME HIG:

http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.5/design-text-labels.html.en

to EasyTAG would be a good first step in making the UI, and the text that forms it, more consistent. It should have the added benefit that it makes the strings more consistent with those of other applications, which translators may already be familiar with. I will try to go through the translatable strings this weekend and improve them.

Thank you again for your suggestions

--
http://amigadave.com/