Re: Russian in traditional orthography support

On 09/14/2011 05:27 PM, -скрыто- Алекса wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:13:18 +0300
>> From: ihar hrachyshka gmail com
>> Subject: Re: Russian in traditional orthography support
>>
>> To be able to translate it separately from mainstream Russian
>> orthography, they need to get special libc variant for their language
>> flavor. Like be_BY@latin for Latin alphabet variant for Belarusian
>> language. Same for "traditional" Russian orthography (which one of
>> them?) It should get libc approval for smth like "ru_RU@traditional"
>> (just an assumption) to be able to proceed with releasing translations
>> for GNOME.
>
> There is already registered variant code in BCP-47 style, so I cannot see a reason why it cannot be used unchanged as variant tag of glibc locale code.
>
> Also, not all translations' (and even registered teams') locales presented at l10n.gnome.org have glibc support, so I assume it's not a required prerequisite to register a team. Are there reasons we cannot assume "ru@petr1708" locale code not waiting for glibc support, as it's unlikely to change in the future?
>
> Finally, I was under impression that modern tendency to use $LANGUAGE for user interface selection mitigates the dependency on actual locale installed.

Hi,

(I'm not an official representative of GNOME in any way, just my
suggestions and assumptions below.)

I think you can register new GNOME translation team for ru_RU@petr1708.
Though you should also think about locale support in upstream (and if
not, in distributions). If I understand the issue, to use your
translation, users will need to have:

- custom locale support in his distro of choice (either provided from
glibc upstream or from distribution specific patches; see
be_BY@alternative in Debian-based distributions for the case of
distro-specific locale with no glibc support);

- your GNOME translation itself.

For the latter, GNOME l10n team is enough. For the former, you need to
make additional steps to promote your locale.

To keep discussion constructive, could you please:

- send first translation files in this ML;
- create bugs for one or two popular distributions with proposal to
include this locale in their packages (or show links to them).

/Ihar