RE: Russian in traditional orthography support

> Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:13:18 +0300
> From: ihar hrachyshka gmail com
> Subject: Re: Russian in traditional orthography support
>
> To be able to translate it separately from mainstream Russian
> orthography, they need to get special libc variant for their language
> flavor. Like be_BY@latin for Latin alphabet variant for Belarusian
> language. Same for "traditional" Russian orthography (which one of
> them?) It should get libc approval for smth like "ru_RU@traditional"
> (just an assumption) to be able to proceed with releasing translations
> for GNOME.

There is already registered variant code in BCP-47 style, so I cannot see a reason why it cannot be used unchanged as variant tag of glibc locale code.

Also, not all translations' (and even registered teams') locales presented at l10n.gnome.org have glibc support, so I assume it's not a required prerequisite to register a team. Are there reasons we cannot assume "ru@petr1708" locale code not waiting for glibc support, as it's unlikely to change in the future?

Finally, I was under impression that modern tendency to use $LANGUAGE for user interface selection mitigates the dependency on actual locale installed.