Re: Status of Dzongkha translations

Op Sa, 2011-09-03 om 22:33 +0200 skryf Andre Klapper:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I tried to contact ~17 GNOME translation team leaders of teams
> that look like losing translation coverage[1].
>
> (In general I think that the GNOME translation community should be more
> active in identifying potential problems and help with outreach to
> downstream translation teams[2][3][4].
> I'm interested in thoughts of others on this.)
>
> As a first result to mention here, I received a 550 delivery failure for
> the email address of the Dzongkha team[5] leader (CC'ed).
>
> How to proceed? Make it a "There is currently no established team for
> this language." on l10n.gnome.org for the time being?
> Contact downstream teams whether they somebody is interested in helping
> upstream?

Thanks for taking initiative with this, André.

It is really sad to see how some languages that were in excellent shape
go backwards in just a few years. While a more accurate message on
Damned Lies is good, the first prise would be to find a way to get
inactive teams to become active again.

A few observations:

 - Languages that lost just a few percentage points but wasn't that high
(10%-20%) probably had the same amount of inactivity.

 - There is massive string churn: without activity, it seems that a
language can loose more than 10% of their coverage in a year if they
were reasonably complete before the inactivity.

 - On the other end of the scale, some languages have progressed
remarkably well over the last few years.

 - It is sad that teams loose coverage, but hopefully we are improving
in more teams than we are regressing. Let's have a look at this page
with people that wanted to help:
https://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/TeamBrainstorm

Did we help these people in starting? I just stumbled on the page
yesterday, and got into contact with Ernest, who sent his email to the
list a few hours later. Let's see if we can pick up more teams.

Friedel

--
Recently on my blog:
http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/virtaal-070-released