Re: Status of Dzongkha translations

Op Sa, 2011-09-10 om 15:34 +0200 skryf F Wolff:
> Op Sa, 2011-09-03 om 22:33 +0200 skryf Andre Klapper:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Yesterday I tried to contact ~17 GNOME translation team leaders of teams
> > that look like losing translation coverage[1].
> >
> > (In general I think that the GNOME translation community should be more
> > active in identifying potential problems and help with outreach to
> > downstream translation teams[2][3][4].
> > I'm interested in thoughts of others on this.)
> >
> > As a first result to mention here, I received a 550 delivery failure for
> > the email address of the Dzongkha team[5] leader (CC'ed).
> >
> > How to proceed? Make it a "There is currently no established team for
> > this language." on l10n.gnome.org for the time being?
> > Contact downstream teams whether they somebody is interested in helping
> > upstream?
>
> Thanks for taking initiative with this, André.
>
> It is really sad to see how some languages that were in excellent shape
> go backwards in just a few years. While a more accurate message on
> Damned Lies is good, the first prise would be to find a way to get
> inactive teams to become active again.
>
> A few observations:
>
>  - Languages that lost just a few percentage points but wasn't that high
> (10%-20%) probably had the same amount of inactivity.
>
>  - There is massive string churn: without activity, it seems that a
> language can loose more than 10% of their coverage in a year if they
> were reasonably complete before the inactivity.
>
>  - On the other end of the scale, some languages have progressed
> remarkably well over the last few years.
>
>  - It is sad that teams loose coverage, but hopefully we are improving
> in more teams than we are regressing. Let's have a look at this page
> with people that wanted to help:
> https://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/TeamBrainstorm
>
> Did we help these people in starting? I just stumbled on the page
> yesterday, and got into contact with Ernest, who sent his email to the
> list a few hours later. Let's see if we can pick up more teams.

Another thing I forgot to mention, is the case of Thai slipping 17%. You
might remember that the coordinator Theppitak Karoonboonyanan explained
why they were failing to attract people to GNOME: the logo. The
reactions were mixed, and I don't know if we managed to solve the
problem for the Thai team.

Friedel

--
Recently on my blog: