Re: Getting involved in British English translation?

Hi,

I'm one of the British English committers (though I didn't manage to get
any time to translate GNOME 3.0, unfortunately, so I've been marked as
“inactive” on DL). It looks like you've managed to get yourself set up
on Damned Lies, which is great.

Once you've translated a few things, drop me an e-mail and I'll see if I
can review and commit them. I can't remember if Damned Lies does that
automatically.

Since British English is quite similar to American English, you'll find
translating things into en_GB quite easy, though it's easy to miss
things if you're not careful. I always find it useful to do a quick grep
through a PO file after translating it to make sure I haven't missed
anything common (like “ize” or “email”).

Consequently, a lot of the work we do in translating to British English
is to actually spot and report errors in the original strings (i.e.
where they're not valid American English). This can be anything from
spelling mistakes, through missing or incorrect punctuation, to strings
which could simply be worded better.

If you spot problems in the original strings when translating, please
file a bug against the relevant module on bugzilla.gnome.org making sure
you provide clear details of what's wrong and how it should be fixed (a
copy of the relevant lines in the PO file is always good).

Hopefully this has all made sense, and I hope you enjoy contributing to
the en_GB translation. If you've got any questions, ping me on IRC
(pwithnall; I'm usually around in #gnome-hackers) and I'll see what I
can do.

Regards,
Philip