Re: Construction sentences with embedded widgets

On 2010-09-07 11:37, Calum Benson wrote:

> On 2 Sep 2010, at 22:57, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
>
>> Imagine a language that requires text both before and after the
>> position where the widget is supposed to show up. Example to
>> demonstrate the issue I'm referring to (in English): "Forget this
>> password after [widget-goes-here] of idle time"

Thanks Wouter for catching this.

> IIRC (although I can't see exactly where right now) the HIG
> recommends against using such constructs, both for l10n and a11y
> reasons, and recommends always trying to rearrange things into a more
> conventional Label: Widget layout.  Re-using your example:
>
> Idle time after which to forget password: [widget]

Good tip. However this exact wording won't work, since the text is also
a radio button label. Please see the attached image.

Perhaps text like this would work, although (as you pointed out) it's
far less usable:

 * Lock this keyring after an amount of time: [X ] minutes
 * Lock this keyring after idle for an amount of time:

And in other prompts:

 * Forget this password after for an amount of time: [X ] minutes
 * Forget this password after idle for an amount of time.

Perhaps this whole dialog needs to be redesigned? We would appreciate
any usability advice for this dialog.

For what it's worth this layout and translation problem is not new to
this release of GNOME, and this string has been translated (although
perhaps suboptimally) many times.

Cheers,

Stef