Construction sentences with embedded widgets (was: String changes in gnome-keyring)

Op zaterdag 28-08-2010 om 20:40 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Stef
Walter:
> The following strings were added:
> "Forget this password if idle for"
> "Forget this password after"
> "Forget this password when I log out"

I'm not sure strings like this work for any language. It's quite clear
that there is a missing "%s" in the first two sentences, and I assume
that is because there is no string substitution performed in this case.
Instead, an actual widget is shown.

Imagine a language that requires text both before and after the position
where the widget is supposed to show up. Example to demonstrate the
issue I'm referring to (in English): "Forget this password after
[widget-goes-here] of idle time"

I'm not sure what the correct approach would be in this case. I'm not
even sure there are languages that really *require* text both before and
after the position of the widget.

This sounds like an interesting issue that might apply to multiple
applications. Thoughts and feedback are welcome!

    — Wouter