Re: GNOME Moduleset Reorganization vs. L10N

2010/10/16 daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gnome org>:
> On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 03:05 +0200, Kenneth Nielsen wrote:

>> > it would be interesting to know _why_ some modules do not like to be
>> > hosted on gnome.org. knowing that would make it so much easier to find
>> > the best way for all of us.
>> >
>> > daniel
>>
>> In the case of clutter core, which I believe was the module that got
>> this discussion started again, Emmanuele said the following:
>>
>> "now, how do we go from here to there is probably worth discussing. I
>> cannot move Clutter to gnome.org; it's simply unfeasible for various
>> reasons, one of which is that the Clutter Project is not just used by
>> GNOME. this is similar to GStreamer, or Cairo, which are hosted on
>> freedesktop.org."
>>
>> I think especially the, "is not just used by GNOME", argument will be
>> difficult to circumvent.
>
> right, but in that case there is no problem to have it hosted on
> freedesktop.org, like many other dependencies of gnome.

Wait what? The very thing that we are discussing, is what to do to
ensure localisation quality for this exact kind of module. Even though
the source code cannot be hosted on gnome git, we would still like to
have control over the localisation, control and easy access. This
easiest way to achieve this is to require this kind of module to have
their localisation hosted on just one (or possible two) translation
services. And what we are trying to find out is, which ones are the
right solution. So far a translation only repository copy on gnome
git, lauchpad and transifex has been discussed.

\Kenneth