Re: Complaint of the Slovak coordinator

Hi Johannes,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I had no chance to went through
all emails in this thread yet. I'll scan all of them and if I'll find
something where I cannot resist I'll put my view there. I think I'll be
finished no later than tomorrow evening.

BTW, you do not need to apologize. Your opinions are valid, even I
disagree with some of your statements.

Thanks.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 07:59:20AM -0000, jhs jsschmid de wrote:
> Hi Marcel!
>
> Thanks for your answer. I disagree with some points but that's perfectly
> ok. After rereading my mail it sounded a bit personal and I want to
> apologies for that as that wasn't my intention. Also thanks for
> summarizing the content of the slovak page.
>
> To all: The GTP coordination team is carefully discussing this matter and
> will decide soon whether we take any action and what that might be. In the
> meantime, unless you have something really new I don't think it's worth to
> extent this discussion further.
>
> So, everbody calm down a bit, do your work (that's actually what will
> improve the translation status most) and you will hear from us.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Johannes
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 01:19:11AM +0200, Johannes Schmid wrote:
> >> Hi!

> >> or
> >>
> >> Note that this is not about the major things (because they will be
> >> resolved during review) but about some remaining issues where
> >> translators might have had a wrong thought. And people file more bug
> >> reports than you think.
> >
> > It really depends.
> >
> > In most cases users are not able to find minor bugs easily. If the
> > translated string looks reasonable but it is incorrect, the user will be
> > hardly able to find the problem. In most cases to find the minor bug you
> > need to compare the English original with the translated sentence.  This
> > is not a task most users do.
> >
> > If it was not easy for translator/reviewer to find the minor bug I do
> > not believe the bug will be found/reported by an average user.
> >
> > The minor bugs can be find only by hard work in the translation team.

> >> encourage

> >> improve
> >>
> >> Sorry, I see a big problem here. You seem to trust very few people and
> >> this will cause problems in an open-source projects. You simply need to
> >> trust that people are willing to do good work and they will improve over
> >> time.
> >
> > I review their work. My trust is based on observation.

> >> big.
> >> think
> >>
> >> Yeah, but you have a po file then. That's great as it brings you a
> >> translation for free if the person joins the team or not. There is no
> >> point in rejecting those translations just because people didn't want to
> >> join the team fully. (Of course, they should fix their stuff when it
> >> gets reviewed).
> >
> > That's true.
> > Without joining the team the review would be really hard.
> >

> >> Also you didn't answer my inital question if you could drop the formal
> >> introduction mail.
> >
> > Sure. I can. But let me elaborate a bit:
> >
> > In February 2010 few members of our team created a page where they
> > summarized several things where the team organization should improve
> > (acocrding their opinion). The page is here:

> [...]

| Marcel Telka   e-mail:   marcel telka sk  |
|                homepage: http://telka.sk/ |
|                jabber:   marcel jabber sk |