Re: Complaint of the Slovak coordinator

Hi!

(This is my personal view, if solving this should prove difficult we
might need a meeting of the coordination team to discuss this in
detail.)

After reading through (the English part of) the mails I came to some
conclusions what is wrong in this team:

* Trust: To me it seems that there is a lack of trust between the team
members and the team coordinator. I think when you have some reviewers
you should trust in them to make a final review. People will always make
mistakes but it's better to "release early, release often". There are
scripts that usually fix all the release critical bugs. If you find bugs
later you can still fix it. But as long as a translation isn't public
there won't be any users and thus no bug reports. So, I would encourage
you to drop the final review stage (now).

* Positiv attitude towards newcomers: First, nonetheless how it is
implemented, a formal mail is not the way to go. We already place a good
amount of hurdles in the way of new translators by having to get used to
git/damned-lies, po-files, etc. This is not like launchpad where
everyone can start translating and that's done on purpose.
That means that everybody who got that first step will already have at
least some understanding of the workflow and put effort in solving a
steep learning curve.
Of course translation quality might be poor in the beginning but
everybody was a newcomer first. Usually it's good to setup some kind of
rules for consistent translations were people can stick to.

* Long-term vision: You will almost never find someone who will clearly
state that he will be able to maintain a translation for the next few
years. This is a volunteer project and life changes sometimes. But it is
not a problem when different people translate the same module, neither
for consistence nor for quality if done right.
Reviewers will notice when there is an inconsistency within the strings
and are able to point that out. I think most teams have no problem in
sharing modules between different translators.
=> Assigning modules to a single person without giving others the chance
to step up is a bad thing.

* Personal differences: This happens, accept it. We don't need to be
best friends all and we sure aren't. This is about getting work done
which definitely fails here as the numbers show.

So there is a problem and it is not a good idea to say everything is
fine. As well as it is not true that everything is wrong.

Marcel, I would love if you could point out how to solve this problem
with real actions. You only talked about the past till now, please talk
about the future.

Thanks and regards,
Johannes

BTW, Marcel is missing as committer here: http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/sk