Re: Complaint of the Slovak coordinator

El jue, 13-05-2010 a las 19:46 +0300, Tomas Kuliavas escribió:
> 2010.05.13 19:34 Marcel Telka rašė:
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 05:33:09PM +0200, Johannes Schmid wrote:
> >> Of course translation quality might be poor in the beginning but
> >
> > Yes. This is the reason why we are doing reviews.
> >
> >> everybody was a newcomer first. Usually it's good to setup some kind of
> >> rules for consistent translations were people can stick to.
> >
> > I agree. Now, we are in process to have such rules set up.
> >

> >> * Long-term vision: You will almost never find someone who will clearly
> >
> > Sorry, this was misinterpreted. The rule is that a potential translator
> > for a module should say: Ok, I'll maintain this module. Once his
> > interest for the module is lost he can easily say: Ok, I'll no longer
> > maintain this translation, it is free for someone else. There is no
> > requirement to became a translator for several years.
> >
> > The assigned translator have several pros:
> > - the translation will be easily maintained self consistent
> > - when a bug is filled it is easy to realize who is the proper person to
> >   whom the bug should be assigned
>
> You want to run your translation in cathedral style, but you don't have
> enough resources for that. Bazaar wins against cathedral in long term.
> Initial bazaar translation quality is worse, but it improves over time and
> allows larger number of contributors. Your single translation quality
> might be better, but when translation team success depends on your free
> time, you and your translation team lose.
Despite that the Spanish Translation Team is quite alike Slovak in
structure (basically because we do not have many translators/experienced
ones), I must say that I do not see many improvements in bazaar like
model (Launchpad, in fact). Most of the bugs opened against our
translations are LP bugs, not ours.

However having only one commiter is a bottleneck.

--
Jorge González González <aloriel gmail com>
Weblog: http://aloriel.no-ip.org