Re: Using two translation workflows for one module

Hi!

Debarshi Ray <debarshi ray gmail com>, Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:12:02 +0200:

> > If it
> > gets translated elsewhere, then it should not get into gnome without
> > language team approval, if it exists.
>
> This is the part that I do not understand. Does getting into GNOME
> mean using GNOME infrastructure or being an official module. Solang is
> not an official module. The reason for using git.gnome.org is one of
> convenience and alignment. eg., getting our Mallard documentation
> reviewed, staying upto date with the GNOME Goals, etc..

You hit the nail on the head actually. One of the main and very important
GNOME Goals is i18n/i10n. And we're doing i18n/i10n our own way here in
the GNOME Translation Project.

We've nice guys in GTP who are developing Damned Lies platform with
extensive support for convenient l10n work flow, including the very
important (and working!) translation review process. And yes, I think we're
kind of proud of it all. That's probably why this discussion is also quite
heated, I'd say.

So if you really want to comply with the GNOME Goals, you should definitely
once again consider making use of the one and only official GNOME l10n
platform, and that is l10n.gnome.org. Then I'm sure it'll be a win-win
situation, as they say.

> > Just consider hundreds of one time launchpad clickers, updating the
> > work of organized gnome team (to be clear; not all of launchpad users
> > are clickers of course).
>
> I do not know about Launchpad because I have never used it. But in
> Transifex.net developers have the option of allowing anyone to submit
> or require that new translators or teams ask for permission. Solang
> requires that new translators/teams ask for permission.

That's nice, but as others have already mentioned, I think that
senior / experienced enough translators should be the primary ones giving
"permissions", developers aren't usually the right persons to decide
whether translator is doing one's things appropriately.

> > Solang is being translated by the same team as other gnome
> > translations to Slovenian, no matter where it is hosted, because it's
> > a good project. It just isn't updated regularly, because no-one
> > remembers to check it on transifex.
>
> Good point.
>
> The problem with Tx.net is that there is no way a developer can
> communicate directly with the l10n community.

Yes, I agree. Moreover, there's no way translators or translation teams on
Tx.net can communicate with each other, as the Tx.net translation team
approach is based on a per-project basis. That's quite unfortunate in my
opinion. Translators and different projects translation teams need to share
knowledge, guidelines, terminology, best practices, etc., but having like
zillions of different translation teams on one l10n platform isn't aiming to
accomplish these important goals.

I hope though that the above can be changed in the future and that Tx.net
will be more like Damned Lies in this regard.

Best,
Petr Kovar