Re: Translator credits and header

2010/12/31 Jorge González <aloriel gmail com>:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a question regarding the translator credits and header of the
> po files. There is a new translator in our team (Spanish) which insist
> on using the typical "name dot surname at domain dot com" technique. I
> haven't tried, but I guess GIT doesn't accept this for --author
> option. Anyway, he is not happy about us changing the header and the
> translator credits of the files with the proper form
> "name surname domain com".
>
> So the questions are:
>  * is it compulsory to have the translator email properly formed for
> the header and translator credits?
>  * is it possible to commit the changes using the team email instead
> of the translator email?

When committing a translation for another person, you do something like

git commit -m "Updated ...." --author "Name Surname <mail gmail com>" es.po

The part for "Name Surname <mail gmail com>" must be like that
and no variations like 'mail at gmail dot com' are allowed.
This piece of information makes it in the git history, so it must be a
proper address.

What is added to the header field 'Last-Translator' is not verified/checked.
Ditto for the 'translation-credits'. Here you have the GNOME Translator Policy,
which I am not sure whether it dictates RFC-compliant e-mails.

However, the way this should be dealt with, is to simply create a new
e-mail address
for the purpose of open-source involvement. This issue comes up in
most open-source projects.
I saw it recently discussed in the LibreOffice mailing lists, and the
answer is just the same:

» Make a new e-mail address just for your open-source involvement.
» You can use a GMail account which does good spam filtering. You can
also have several accounts
and have them forwarded to your mail open-source GMail account.
» The root of the problem is not aversion to spam but that of e-mail management.

Simos