Re: Edit Module homepage in "damned lies"

Hello,

2009/11/6 Claude Paroz <claude 2xlibre net>:
> Le vendredi 06 novembre 2009 à 20:25 +0100, Ulrik Sverdrup a écrit :
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> 1. I maintain Kupfer_. How can I write some maintainer notes at the
>>    module's localization homepage?
>
> Hi Ulrik,
>
> You can't write yourself directly. Just send us the text you want and
> we'll add it.

Why? I'm maintainer and translator of Kupfer.

>>    I would like to mention some thoughts on localiaztion that I have as
>>    maintainer (and author of 95% of all strings). As well as mentioning
>>    the small help text from the manual_
>>
>> .. _Kupfer: http://l10n.gnome.org/module/kupfer/
>> .. _manual: http://kaizer.se/wiki/kupfer/Manual/#localization
>
> At first glimpse, there is nothing in these notes that is not familiar
> to GNOME translators. We only add a note if something is different from
> all other GNOME modules.

There are ~8 (?) people who are not Gnome people who have contributed
translations for Kupfer. The documentation are for them. Kupfer has no
gain in involving eager volumnteers in complicated processes, (like
git-specific things and so). The instructions are absolutely
necessary, many come to help and have no first clue what to do.
(Neither had I, but I found out how to configure gettext etc and make
translations -- and finally with some pushing from Gnome -- to
configure for intltool-update properly.

Since the linked web page is Kupfer's translation homepage, it
absolutely makes sense to include this information there, it's not for
the entertainment of old Gnome hands -- but for engaging contributors
for Kupfer (who might not even use Gnome).

>> 2. Kupfer has received tons of help with localization from volunteers
>>    that do not normally contribute to Gnome. Is it feasible to invite
>>    them for gnome translator accounts and how can I do that?
>
> Yes, of course. Encourage them to create an account on l10n.gnome.org
> and to contact their respective coordinator (see Teams).

Is there more detail about this process? How do translators get git
accounts? I don't know if it's techinally possible to confine accounts
to just Kupfer's repo for example -- then I'd like to keep the
barriers low.

ulrik