Re: Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo (yo, ha, ig) Licensing

Thanks for the suggestion to look for a LICENSE field - not really familiar with RPMs and I didn't think to look for that.  Good news!  All four packages (3 translations and then locales-ng) are listed as GPL in the RPM.  I've uploaded the results of:

rpm -qi $packagename

for each package to http://chrismurf.com/nigerian-translations/license-info.txt, but the punchline is that all of them are listed as GPL in their respective packages.

Hooray for metadata.

Best,
  Chris

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Chris Murphy <chrismurf gmail com> wrote:
> And for good measure I grabbed the files from the translations-[ha,ig,yo]
> packages and tarred them up.  Everything is available from the folder:
> http://chrismurf.com/nigerian-translations/, including the files I
> referenced earlier.  Apologies for not consolidating emails.

Thanks for looking into this, Chris. Couple questions:

(1) Chris, if you've got a system running, can you rpm query the
LICENSE field for the locales-ng package? (I'm afraid I don't remember
the exact syntax for that off the top of my head, sorry.)

(2) Chris, you mentioned there is "licensing information at the top"
of locales-ng.tgz, but I don't see it anywhere. Could you point out
exactly where it is/was?

(3) I notice that /usr/share/i18n/locales/ha_NG mentions a
paolo mandriva com- has anyone tried to contact Paolo (and/or
mandriva) to see if they know about this translation work? Or is that
just copied/pasted from somewhere else?

Generally, James Vasile and Aaron Williamson (of Software Freedom Law
Center) and I discussed this briefly today on the phone so we're
paying attention to the issue and hope we can give some more
definitive advice shortly. Obviously more definitive information (like
contacting the Wazobia folks directly, or finding a license file like
the one Chris suggests is present) would speed that up, or even
better, make it a non-issue :)

Luis