Re: Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo (yo, ha, ig) po files

Hi,

Andre Klapper wrote:
> This is about http://www.gnome.org/~tthurman/yo-ha-ig/ .
> These are .po files extracted from a Nigerian distro called "Wazobia
> Linux".
> Several KDE and GNOME applications were translated into the three
> languages in the subject line, a user has found a disk image, extracted
> the .mo files, decompiled them to .po and sent them to Thomas Thurman.
> So to me it boils down to the question: "Can we just take the .po files
> without asking anybody?" and (like Johannes wrote earlier) "if a
> translation can be considered a derived work."

I think Johannes has almost asked the right question.

The question is whether translating an application results in a derived
work. Am I missing something, or isn't the answer obviously yes?

*If* the translated application is derived from the original, then if
the original application is GPL, you can just take the .po file, and
credit the person/people who did the translation. If the app is LGPL,
the same thing applies. For any BSD-type licence, you'll need
confirmation from Wazobia that their translations were released under
the same licence.

This seems like the kind of thing that the FSF and the SFLC have
probably thought about already.

Cheers,
Dave.

--