Re: What can Git do for translators?

Em Sex, 2009-01-09 às 03:27 +0000, Simos Xenitellis escreveu:

> The Translation Project (http://translationproject.org/) has (for many
> years now) an automated system where you send the translation file as
> an e-mail attachment and it adds it for you to a common location of
> translation files.
>
> Something that would be desirable with GNOME translations would be to
> able to make easily changes across all the translations of a language,
> and then commit the files in an easy way.
> In KDE, all translations for a specific language reside in a separate
> directory tree, which makes it easy to make overall changes. I think
> the KBabel/Lokalize tool has an option to allow to view all the
> translations in a single list, so that one can identify discrepancies
> in similar terms.
> The same tool has an option to commit (SVN) the translations from
> within the GUI.
>
> Reading about 'git submodule' at
> http://book.git-scm.com/5_submodules.html it looks it might be good to
> try this feature in order to separate the translations from the code
> in each repository.

I hope the submodule feature works for us.

I don't like the KDE approach (even if KDE translators don't seem to
bother having scripts changing PO files in the repository), and it works
best with a policy of giving SVN accounts to most regular translators
(that would be circa 10 in my team).

The TP-Robot approach might work most of the time, if it can receive
screenshots as well. Same for an Web-based approach (e.g. Damned Lies).

There are some translations which are not in PO files or in screenshots;
e.g. the welcome mail in Evolution. If we get a simple "commit"
interface like TP-Robot or Transifex, then we will need to decide
between keeping translators with commit access or handling exceptional
translations (like the welcome mail) via bug reports.

--
Leonardo Fontenelle
http://leonardof.org