Re: What can Git do for translators?

Leonardo F. Fontenelle wrote:

> As a translator, I just have to check out the po/ or help/ subdirs where
> I want to commit my translation files to. There's even a LINGUAS file in
> the po/ subdirs to avoid translators checking out the whole module just
> to edit Makefile.am.

The main reason to move to LINGUAS was in fact to make it less error prune for
translators.  Previously we were left with many broken builds because, eg, the
editor decided to break the line and the translator (not exactly savvy in
configure.ac syntax) didn't notice.

> AFAIK moving to git would mean committers must checkout the whole
> module.

That's assuming that the transition team does not find a solution to this
problem.  Lets not speculate and focus on the problems that need to be solved.
 That's why Federico is here asking you what your workflow is.  If the
transition happens and you are left in the cold having to download the full
module to commit one file, you have all rights to complain :).

Cheers,

behdad