Re: PiTiVi back in (git.)gnome.org

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 15:02 +0200, Gintautas Miliauskas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >  We currently are hosted in git.pitivi.org, but thanks to owen's help,
> > we now have a git repo in gnome.org also
> > (http://git.gnome.org/cgit/pitivi/ ) which we will be synchronizing with
> > the master repository on a regular basis.
>
> Which repository do you consider the "master"? svn.gnome.org or git.gnome.org?

  git.pitivi.org is the *real* master, as for gnome.org it's
git.gnome.org, but (considering it's git) we'll be regularly syncing
between the two.

> I am slightly annoyed by all this repository moving business. Look, if
> you want to move, fine, but *delete your project from the old
> repository* so that there is no confusion. You can always restore the
> project later if you want; despite being old-school, Subversion does
> allow that. There are hundreds of packages on svn.gnome.org, and
> translators can't be expected to track the whims of every project.
> Moreover, when they find out they have been spending time translating
> obsolete strings, they tend to get a little frustrated.

  I was *expecting* to be able to easily backport git.pitivi.org commits
to svn.gnome.org. Alas... it wasn't (ask any other project doing their
main development in git and syncing back to svn, they'll have the same
comments), and we eventually got lost in hacking... and forgot about it.

> I am also puzzled by your statement that translations are "too
> obsolete to backport". Obsolete? It's a PO file, you just merge it
> with the new POT and it's done. Backport? If the translations are
> already obsolete, where could one backport them?

  I'll give a try at syncing the po/*.pot with current code and push it
to git.gnome.org soon.