Re: Batch-download all GNOME po directories

Op Sa, 2009-04-18 om 17:45 +0200 skryf Johannes Schmid:
> Hi!
>
> Am Samstag, den 18.04.2009, 17:16 +0200 schrieb Frederic Peters:
> > Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> >
> > > and keep those on your system. We now know the figures;
> > > the GNOME 2.26 Git repositories would take about 2.6GB on your disk.
> >
> > 2.6GB, but that doesn't count some big repositories, for exemple gimp
> > and gnumeric are both over 200MB.
> >

> Actually the whole discussion scares me a bit. Do you really never test
> the modules you translate? I mean of course you cannot check every
> single dialog but at least a quick overview is a must for correct
> translations imho.
>
> And if you use the jhbuilds available for all gnome modules that
> shouldn't be a big deal and doesn't require any development skills.
>
> Regards,
> Johannes

Hall Johannes

I don't find it that scary. What is the worst case scenario? While we
have pre-commit hooks with msgfmt (and in damned-lies), translations
can't break the applications. We don't need to worry about dialogue
sizes like in the case of Mozilla applications. There are many things
that should be checked in the interface, but I'm not aware of any really
crucial ones. For me this is one of the strong points of working on
GNOME.

Of course, I always test the translations, but in the version of the
GNOME application I currently have installed which is never the next one
to be released. However, it means I get to test almost everything that
is important in the running software without having to touch a
development version, and I can focus on language issues - msgfmt and GTK
will worry about the rest. Of course, I use everything available to do
my translation well, like pofilter for technical review which tests
things more exhaustively than msgfmt does, and try to get review from
people from time to time. It could be that I'll want to look at
development versions if my hardware and bandwidth situation improves or
as I start working more on getting modules back to 100% from previously
100% translated ones. (Currently I'm often working from 0% or from long
unmaintained ones.)

While I'm mostly working on my own with limited ability to get the next
versions, I think we are doing very well while maintaining very little
overhead for translators. I don't think it is all that scary.

Keep well
Friedel

--
Recently on my blog: